One type of manufacturing operation is machining under which the extra material has removed with the help of shearing in the chip form. Different cutting edge tools have been used to compress the work material. These hard, robust, and wedge-shaped cutting tools remove the extra layer of the material.
These cutting tools have used to compress the definite layer of material to shear off the excess layer. Thus, these cutters must have a wedge shape and sharp edge to efficiently and effortlessly remove the extra stuff with low power. At the same token, the cutting tools ought to be hard enough to hold out intense rubbing that happened during the machining process.
What is the cutting tool?
These are sharp-edged and wedge-shaped tools to remove the excess layer from the material by shearing during the machining process. These cutting tools aim to provide the desired shape and size with optimum accuracy. These are also known as cutters and hardly move upon the machine tool. Various mechanical and other arrangements for cutting have been provided by the velocity between the material and cutters.
Example of Cutting Tools
In the machining operation, the cutting tools have been used as essential cutters. Various machining operations use different cutters, and thus, several names have provided to these tools as per the application. We are enlisting the commonly-used cutting tools below.
- Single point turning tool: It is used for turning operations as executed in the lathe.
- Drill: It is widely used for performing drilling purposes on drill machines, milling machines, or lathe.
- Milling cutter: It is also known as mill and cutter for milling operations on a milling machine.
- Fly Cutter: It is effective for fly milling operations in a milling machine.
- Shaper: It is a tool used for providing shape as performed in a milling machine.
- Planer: In the planning machine, it is used for planning operations.
- Boring bar: Suitable for boring purposes in boring operations or drilling.
- Reamer: It is for reamer operation and performed in the drilling machine.
- Broach: It is used for broaching operations and executed in broaching machines.
- Hob: The tool is useful for the hobbing operation performed in the hobbing machine.
- Grinding Wheel: It is a cutter used for grinding operations and executed in grinding machines.
Categorization of cutting Tools
Ceratizit.com offers a complete range of cutting tools. The primary way to categorize these tools that contributes to various cutting actions is the count of the leading cutting edge. Based upon this cutting edge, the cutting tools have categorized into three main groups which have given below:
- Single-point cutting tool: The tools having a single main edge for cutting performed in cutting actions.
- Double point cutting tool: As the name signifies, such tools have two cutting edges that have been used in cutting operations—for example, drill.
Multi-point cutting tool: Such tools have more than two leading cutting edges that work simultaneously at the same time.