A car journey due to flat tyre, electrical or mechanical fault and so forth can be unsettling in many ways. If your car breaks down due to these problems, the situation can be incredibly annoying and stressful. Roadside assistance comes to your rescue in such cases.
Roadside assistance (RSA) by car insurance companies offer direct towing or repair service in emergency situations like a puncture, running out of fuel, and other such problems. car insurance companies provide RSA with the car insurance policies as an Add-on cover
How does Roadside Assistance Work?
Whenever an emergency arises, you need to call your motor insurance company, and they will send a crew to rescue you in no time. Mostly, all the repair services are free. However, in some cases, you may have to bear expenses if the service required is beyond the coverage. For example, if your RSA covers fuel delivery and you require 5 litres on the way, the RSA will arrange the supply, but you will need to pay for the cost of fuel. If your car needs to be towed for a certain distance covered in the RSA, you can avail it free of charge. Roadside assistance facility is most useful during the monsoon when cars are most susceptible to such breakdowns.
What Does Roadside Assistance Cover?
Roadside assistance on vehicle insurance offers some benefits to the policyholder. Here are a few benefits:
- Towing service
- Phone assistance
- Emergency fuel
- Minor repairing
- Battery jump start
- Spare key arrangement
- Alternate battery/jump start
- Alternate transport/accommodation
Important Factors to consider before Purchasing Roadside Assistance Cover
- Age of the car: Chances of mechanical and other problems increase as the car ages. As a result, any insurance company would be reluctant to offer you roadside assistance cover if your car is old. In the event they agree to provide the protection, the annual charges are likely to be very high.
- Some services covered: It is likely that the roadside assistance cover may have a cap on the number of times you avail the service through the policy year. Coverage for unlimited breakdowns is bound to be more expensive than limited cover plans.
- Geographical Coverage: Various factors affect the cost of roadside assistance plans like the age of the vehicle, the number of services availed, your typical travel route, and so forth. The plan for someone who travels within his city is going to vary from the plan for someone who travels inter-city or inter-state frequently.
Should you take Roadside Assistance Cover?
There is no doubt that roadside assistance is an essential part of your car’s maintenance and protection and that you should avail it. You can avoid buying an add-on roadside assistance cover policy if you feel your current car insurance can take care of such emergency situations..
Your choice to opt roadside assistance should entirely depend on your insurance needs for your car. A roadside assistance cover can be of immense use for people who take their cars for long drives frequently and are not familiar with essential repair work for their cars. It is also an immensely useful cover for older adults.
Need of a Roadside Assistance Cover
- New Vehicle: Local mechanics are often not trained enough to work on the latest technology and vehicles. When you face a breakdown in a less familiar place, it is likely that the local mechanics may not know, how to go about your new car. Thus, RSA’s trained staff would be more trustworthy to work on the car and get you out of the trouble.
- Travel Frequency: Also factor in how frequently you use your car to travel and cover long distances. If you are a frequent tourer, you should make sure you have a roadside assistance cover for the inter-state highways and not just for the city.
- Personal Knowledge: When you have a roadside assistance, you have a peace of mind travelling anywhere in the country. If you want the convenience of a roadside assistance cover, you can think of purchasing it from one of the motor insurance companies as it is ideal for you.
You can buy car insurance online in a few clicks. Drive stress-free to any part of the country with a motor insurance and RSA.